Data and Statistics, 2016
Summary of 2016 Passenger Data and Statistics
It should be noted that during year 2016, as compared to the previous year 2015, we have seen a healthy growth in our International Passengers movements of 12.3% (See Air Transport Passenger Breakdown Year to date 2016.)
Destinations originating internationally:
As to the Commercial Aircraft Operators, i.e., airlines operating direct to an International destination from Bonaire, we can observe the following trends:
United Airline (UAL):
- On the Houston (IAH) – BON city pair, we have experienced a decrease in the passenger & flight (movements) in year 2016, primarily due to less movements compared with year 2015.
- As to the Newark (EWR) – BON city pair, an increase in passengers & flights in year 2016 compared with year 2015 was recorded and this in particular due to the increase that was recorded in the month of June 2016 onward.
- Had an increase in passengers and flights in year 2016. This was mainly due to KLM’s additional flight on day 7 (Sundays) that will continue to operate throughout the Winter Season (OCT 16 – MAR ’17)
Delta Airline (DAL):
- We are very proud to report that Delta Airline was the airline which had the greatest increase in year 2016 (41.6% in passengers) this was due an increase(51.5%) in frequency, adding additional flights on Tuesdays and Fridays during their Winter Schedule 2016, and those flights will continue until January 10, 2017.
- Had an increase in passengers and flights in year 2016 compared with year 2015. TUIFLY did maintain their 3 weekly frequencies to Bonaire that was initiated in year 2015.
Destinations originating domestically:
As to the domestic scenario, we can observe that we have experienced a decrease of 8.4% in passenger movements.
Domestic Air Transport is provided by those Aircraft Operators which are airlines operating within the former Netherlands Antilles (Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten) as follow:
- Had a significant decrease in passenger and flight (movements) in year 2016, Insel Air initiated year 2016 by discontinuing all BON- AUA flights and then followed by dropping frequencies by means of cancellations in the month of SEP and following months including DEC 2016.
- Insel Air recorded a 20.7% decrease in flights (movements) to BON and a 11.6% drop in passengers movements.
Divi Divi Air:
- Had an increase in passengers (14.2%) and flights (6.5%) in year 2016 compared with year 2015, they added extra flights during the holiday season (December 2016).
- Had a decrease in passengers in year 2016 compared with year 2015.
Universal Caribbean Airline (UCA):
- Had an increase in passengers & flights in year 2016 compared with year 2015.
General Aviation (corporate flights departing to international destinations):
- This section shows a decrease in passengers but an increase in flights in year 2016 as compared to year 2015.
- Cargo Data is still missing for NOV & DEC 2016 (pending official release from CUSTOMS).
Based on the poor performance of the Domestic Market, the overall growth in passengers and flight movements for BIA was flat in year 2016.