Security at Bonaire International Airport
To assist passengers with traversing the airport’s security, the following information may be valuable.
3-1-1 Liquids Rule
You are allowed to bring one small bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes through the checkpoint. These are limited to 3.4 ounces or less per container. Consolidating these containers in the small bag separate from your carry-on baggage enables BIA Security Officers to screen them quickly.
3-1-1 for carry-ons.
Liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes must be 3.4 ounces (100ml (milliliters)) or less per container; must be in 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin. The bag limits the total liquid volume each traveler can bring. The approximate dimensions of a one litre/quart bag are 15.24 cm by 22.86 cm (6 in. by 9 in.) or 20 cm by 17.5 cm.
Be prepared. Each time a BIA Security Officer stops to physically screen a carry-on bag, it will slow down the line. Practicing the 3-1-1 rule will facilitate the checkpoint experience.
Declare larger liquids.
Medications, baby formula/food and breast milk are allowed in reasonable quantities exceeding three ounces, and they don’t have to be in the zip-top bag.
Pack enough baby formula or breastmilk for your flight plus one day. Declare these items for inspection at the checkpoint. BIA Security Officers may need to open them for additional screening.
If in doubt, put your liquids, gels, aerosols, creams and pastes in checked baggage.
Prohibited Items List
The following articles are prohibited in the cabin of an aircraft and in security restricted areas for security reasons:
- Aerosol Insecticide, Alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol (over 140 proof)
- Ammunition, Arc Lighters, Plasma Lighters, Electronic Lighters, E-Lighters, Axes and Hatchets, Bang Snaps, Baseball Bats, BB Guns, Bear Bangers
- Bear spray, Billy Clubs, Black Jacks (Self-Defense Weapons), Blasting Caps, Bowling Pins, Bows and Arrows, Box Cutters, Butane,
- Butane Curling Irons (cordless), Canoe/Kayak Paddles, Cap Guns, Cast Iron Cookware, Cattle Prods, Chlorine for Pools and Spas,
- CO2 Cartridge, Compressed Air Guns, Cooking spray, Corkscrews (with blade), Corkscrews (with blade), Cricket Bats, Crowbars, Darts, Drills and Drill Bits
- Dynamite, Engine-powered Equipment with Residual Fuel, English Christmas Crackers, Fertilizer,
- Fire Extinguishers and Other Compressed Gas Cylinders, Firearms, Fireworks, Flammable Liquid, Gel, or Aerosol Paint
- Flammable Paints, Flare Guns, Flares, Foam Toy Sword Fuels, Gas Torches, Gasoline, Gel-Type Candles, Golf Clubs
- Gun Lighters, Gun Powder, Hammers, Hand Grenades Heating Pad (Gel), Hiking Poles, Hockey Sticks
- Ice Axes/Ice Picks, Kirpans, Knives, Lacrosse Sticks, Lighter Fluid, Liquid Bleach, Magic 8 Ball, Mallets
- Martial Arts Weapons, Meat Cleavers, Nail Guns, Night Sticks, Nun chucks, Parts of Guns and Firearms
- Party Poppers, Pellet Guns, Pepper Spray, Pocket Knife, Pool Cues, Propane, Rainbow Flame Crystals, Razor-Type Blades, Realistic Replicas of Explosives Realistic Replicas of Firearms
- Realistic Replicas of Incendiaries, Recreational Oxygen, Rifles, Rocket Launcher, Sabers, Safety Razor With Blades (allowed without blade)
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7, Saws, Screwdriver (longer than 7 inches) Scissors with blades more than 4 inches from the pivot point (10 cm); Self-Defense Sprays, Shoe/Snow Spikes
- Ski Poles, Slingshots, Small Compressed Gas Cartridges, Snow Cleats, Sparklers, Spear Guns, Sailable Batteries, Spray Paint, Spray Starch, Starter Pistols
- Strike-anywhere Matches, Stun Guns/Shocking Devices, Swiss Army Knife, Swords, Tactical Pen, Tear Gas, Tent Spikes and Poles, Throwing Stars, Torch Lighters, Turpentine and Paint Thinner, Vehicle Airbags, Walking Sticks
Recommended Check-in Times:
Domestic: 2 hours
International: 3 hours
Always check with your airline to see if they require additional time for check-in.